Aadhaar Card Updates: The Aadhaar Card stands as a crucial identity document for Indian citizens, serving both personal and government-related purposes. Despite its importance, there are limitations to the modifications one can make to the information provided in the Aadhaar database.
According to the guidelines, individuals can make changes to their gender and date of birth just once, whereas alterations to the name are permitted only twice. The Aadhaar card also allows for modifications to the residential address. To initiate an address change, individuals must submit supporting identity documents such as a passport, ration card, or any other valid proof of address. Thankfully, these updates can also be conveniently carried out online.
However, if one needs to alter their name for the third time on the Aadhaar card, a visit to the nearest Aadhaar card center is necessary. Seeking permission from the regional office of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) becomes a requisite step in this process.
Considering the significance of the Aadhaar card in daily life, it is paramount never to disclose its information to unknown individuals. With the increasing prevalence of various fraudulent activities, it is essential to exercise caution. Instances of Aadhaar-related scams have been reported, emphasizing the importance of safeguarding this personal information. One must be vigilant and refrain from sharing Aadhaar details or the One-Time Password (OTP) received on their phones with any unfamiliar or unverified parties to prevent falling victim to potential scams.
Number of Times Aadhaar Details Can Be Changed
- The name can be changed a maximum of two times for an Aadhaar card.
Date of Birth:
- The date of birth is a non-editable field in the Aadhaar database except in cases where an error occurred during data entry.
Address and Gender Changes:
- Aadhaar allows a one-time change for both the address and gender fields.
How to Make Changes Beyond the Limit:
- Individuals seeking to modify their name, gender, or date of birth beyond the allowable limit can do so by visiting the regional office of UIDAI.
Exception Handling Process Steps:
- Visit the Aadhaar enrollment center to update name, date of birth, or gender.
- In case of exceeding the limit, raise a request at the enrollment center or UIDAI regional office via email or post.
- Provide a reason for the request along with a copy of the URN slip, Aadhaar details, and relevant proof.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org via email.
- Await instructions from UIDAI; visiting the office is only necessary upon request.
- The regional office will conduct an investigation to gather additional information.
- After verification, a request will be sent for processing and reprocessing.
Documents Required for Making Changes:
- Bank statement
- Post office account statement/passbook
- Ration card
- Voter ID
- Driving License
- Government photo ID
- Service photo identity card issued by PSU
- Utility bills (within the last three months)
- Property tax receipt (not older than 12 months)