NEW DELHI: The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has announced a new notification that declares a 10% reservation for ex-Agniveers in vacancies within the Border Security Force (BSF). The Central Government has also relaxed upper age-limit norms depending on whether they are part of the first batch or subsequent batches. The notification issued on March 9 is in exercise of the powers conferred by clauses (b) and (c) of sub-section (2) of section 141 of the Border Security Force Act, 1968 (47 of 1968).
The Border Security Force, General Duty Cadre (Non-Gazetted) Recruitment Rules, 2015 has been amended with effect from March 9 to make these rules further applicable. The upper age limit for ex-Agniveers has been relaxed by up to five years for candidates belonging to the maiden batch of ex-Agniveers and up to three years in case of all other batches of ex-Agniveers. Another amendment provides for exemption of ex-Agniveers from taking the physical proficiency test, and 10% of the vacancies shall be reserved for ex-Agniveers.
Central govt has declared 10% reservation for ex-Agniveers in vacancies within BSF as well as relaxed upper age-limit norms depending on whether they are part of the first batch or subsequent batches. MHA made the announcement through a notification dated 6th March pic.twitter.com/dn100tXQ7j— ANI (@ANI) March 10, 2023
Previously, the Agniveer scheme provided for absorption of only 25% of the Agniveers in the defence forces upon completion of their four-year stint, while the remaining 75% were demobilised. In response to criticism, the MHA announced that 10% of vacancies in Central para-military forces and Assam Rifles shall be reserved for demobilised Agniveers, and the upper age limit was relaxed for the first batch of ex-Agniveers by up to five years and for the subsequent batches for three years.
This decision incentivises the choice of youths for a short career in the armed forces by offering them a long-term, follow-up career in the Central para-military forces and Assam Rifles. The move will benefit the CAPFs in getting trained personnel at the pre-recruitment stage itself, saving them the usual time and training costs before the new recruits can take up field duties.