Ranchi: In a heart-wrenching incident in Khetko village, Bokaro district, Jharkhand, four people lost their lives and ten others were injured after accidentally coming in contact with an 11,000-volt high-tension wire during the observance of Muharram.
The tragic incident was confirmed by the district’s Superintendent of Police, who stated that the four individuals died due to electrocution. As per reports from the news agency PTI, the injured are currently receiving medical attention, and their condition is reported to be stable.
Bokaro’s SP, Priyadarshi Alok, provided details about the unfortunate sequence of events. He explained that around 5 o’clock in the morning, members of the Muslim community were taking four Tazias (decorative replicas of the tombs of the imams) through the village as part of the Muharram observance.
During the procession, as three Tazias passed safely near the high-tension wire, a tragic accident occurred when the iron rod on the upper tip of the dome of the fourth Tazia came into contact with the live wire. Due to the morning rain, the Tazia got wet, making it electrically conductive. Tragically, the individuals carrying the Tazia inadvertently came into contact with the current, leading to electrocution.
Shabbir Ansari, the head of Khetko village, revealed that a total of thirteen people were holding the Tazia at the time of the incident. All thirteen were affected by the electrical shock.
In the aftermath of the incident, the injured were swiftly taken to the BGH Hospital in Bokaro Steel City for urgent medical attention. Tragically, Asif Ansari, Enamul Haq, Ghulam Hussain, and Sajid Ansari succumbed to their injuries and were declared dead at the hospital. The remaining injured individuals are currently under medical care, and efforts are being made to ensure their recovery.
The entire village is in mourning, and the tragic accident has left the community in shock. The local authorities are investigating the circumstances leading to the accident and ensuring necessary measures are taken to prevent such mishaps in the future. The incident serves as a painful reminder of the importance of safety measures during religious and cultural events to avoid such tragic consequences.